Join the team that is transforming music technology
MakeMusic in seeking a Senior Software Engineer, Web (Back-End) in our Boulder, Colorado office. You will work in an agile, open and collaborative environment, focused on the back-end systems currently running the core of MakeMusic business. If you are interested in playing a role in the future of music technology then you have come to the right place. At MakeMusic we all share a passion for creating the next best thing in the world of music and we are always searching for great talent. MakeMusic is an industry leader in interactive music learning, notation software and virtual instrument technology.
Our systems include e-commerce applications, back-office systems for customer support needs, subscription management infrastructure, as well as a lightweight ETL pipeline based on Quartz jobs. As an engineer on this team, you are responsible for the end-to-end ownership of those systems; including maintenance, bug fixes, feature enhancements, CI & CD pipeline management and improvements, refactoring and architectural improvements, deployments to production, and operational support. Working closely with your cross-functional team members, you have a high level of autonomy over your day to day, while working with a Product Owner for strategic prioritization.
As a Senior Engineer on the team we look to you to have the depth of technology experience and communication skills to be a mentor to junior members and influence the entire team in architecture, systems engineering, and engineering best practices.
Who You Are:
- Problem solver seeking constantly evolving technologies and software development methods. We want you to become part of our Culture of Learning!
- Bachelors in Computer Science or STEM degree, OR demonstrable experience.
- Highly experienced professional with mastery of several areas of the broader software engineering domain.
- Nice to have any experience with Financial Systems Architecture & Integrations: Zuora, Braintree, NetSuite, etc., experience with PCI compliance
- Highly experienced maintaining, improving, and scaling highly operational web systems
- Mastery of at least one high level language (C# / .NET, Java, or similar) with expert knowledge of OOD, common OO practices, and Design Patterns (in any language), and professional experience with several other languages ideally in differing paradigms (functional vs. OO, scripting languages, etc.)
- RESTful API knowledge: create, maintain, debug (.NET, RoR, Node, Python/Flask, etc.)
- Domain Driven Design, experience with or desire to implement microservice architectures
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: SQL Server, nHibernate, MongoDB, Redis, Web API, Git & GitHub, TeamCity CI, AWS, HTML5, Selenium, nUnit, IOC.
- .NET in all shapes and forms, including .NET Core
- .NET MVC and Webforms, .NET WebAPIs, and transitioning into a Microservice DDD architecture
- Visual Studio 2015, and we try to stay on the leading edge
- Microsoft SQL Server
- AWS with ever expanding use of many IaaS, PaaS, SaaS tools for operational concerns
- TeamCity / GitHub with test automation and code review flows
MakeMusic joined the company's TrainingPeaks and TrainHeroic under the umbrella company Peaksware in beautiful Boulder, Colorado which has been recognized as one of Outside Magazine's "Best Places to Work" for five years. Through a unique approach to deliberate practice, each company within Peaksware develops software solutions and provides services focused solely on their respective markets to help guide people along their own journey of improvement and skill development.
SmartMusic is award-winning interactive music software that provides a deliberate practice environment for students in band, orchestra, and choir. With a subscription to SmartMusic, students have unlimited access to the world’s largest accompaniment library for all ages and skill levels, which includes thousands of pieces of music.
- DevOps - We want developers to have insight and ownership over code in production, integration tools, infrastructure, and deployment process. Developers should always ask what it takes to support their systems/code in production. We value The Phoenix Project as a reference guide.
- Product Efficiency is achieved upstream - The further down the development pipeline we have to fix bugs or rework features, the more expensive it is.
- Small, Cross-Functional Teams - QA, Dev, Design, CI, and Product working on a focused and shared vision.
- Complexity - It's easy to make something complex, but difficult to make it simple. We should always be fighting complexity. Can we deprecate systems/code? Do it. Does the system need to be that complicated? Do we build vs buy?
- Small Batch Sizes - Constantly work towards shorter release cycles as a means to shore up quality, help make sure we are working on the right things at the right time, stabilize operations, and cut down on waste.
- Performance matters - We value engineers that know not to over optimize solutions, but always think how code will perform at expected scale.
- Minimum Process Necessary - We strive to be pragmatic. Some process is necessary, but don’t forget the fundamentals of Agile.
- Managing Technical Debt - The vast majority of work is maintenance. Engineers need to have practical philosophies on refactoring. We like the theory of Broken Windows, YAGNI, and refactor as you go. We appreciate Clean Code, Working Effectively with Legacy Code, and Pragmatic Programmer as reference guides.
- Data Driven - Let’s use the data to help inform what to work on, what is causing performance issues, who is using our features... Ultimately it's the objective plus the narrative that produces great product.
Benefits and Perks:
- 100% company paid medical plan for employees with buy-up options as well as dental and vision insurance for employees (dependent coverage available)
- $1,200/year fitness reimbursement to purchase any items related to healthy living
- 3 weeks of PTO for all new hires. Increases in PTO at various years of service
- 4 week paid sabbatical for all employees after 7 years of employment
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- Dog friendly office
- Music Studio for all to practice, jam, and record
- Lynda.com subscription
- On-site workout area access: treadmill, bike trainers, rowers, and full weight lifting gym with CrossFit equipment, with changing rooms and showers and towel service
- Corporate discounts on gym memberships and top-brand gear
- Beautiful North East Boulder, CO location
- Flexible work schedule in a culture of trust with option of working remotely 1-2 days/week