Come be a part of the team transforming music technology!
MakeMusic has an opening for a Software Engineer in our Boulder, CO office
Join our open and collaborative environment as Technical Lead at MakeMusic using lean agile software development processes and methodologies. Own the software engineering process within our Internal Systems team and work inside the team to define, maintain, and improve an overall development process. Focus on optimizing the whole through reducing waste and improving feedback loops, and advocate and instill modern engineering and clean code practices, driving process adoption of unit testing, continuous integration and deployment, and test automation.
MakeMusic is an industry leader in interactive music learning, notation software, and virtual instrument technology. Our engineers share a passion for development, learning, self-improvement and technology. As a Tech Lead for a small self-directed cross functional team, you will contribute and drive improvements in technology and process to help your team ship software.
At MakeMusic we believe in self-organizing teams who share values, own their products end to end, and are accountable to each other for results. This is reflected by leaders who embody the humility of servant leadership and hunger to strive for continuous improvement, learning, and success.
As the Technical Lead, you will have the opportunity to:
- Continuously improve the software development lifecycle in an Agile environment
- Improve and maintain our business systems
- Develop and deliver work that delights stakeholders and customers
- Review code and develop and maintain tests to help ensure high quality
- Align the Internal Systems team with the overarching engineering principles of the company
- Work with technical leaders to define and then encourage software best practices through education, tools, and knowledge share
- Take responsibility for the systems and processes related to MakeMusic’s internal software systems and the team dedicated to it
- Collaborate with other technical leaders and business stakeholders to efficiently and effectively develop an ongoing technology strategy and execute on that strategy
- Possess a deep and extensive experience working with technical contributors of all experience levels and are capable of mentoring and influencing engineers through collaboration that leads to exceptional outcomes
- Utilize your technical background and strategic mindset to guide systems engineering efforts and understand how small changes in one area may impact other areas
- Always keep value to the customer, business, and team in mind as a central part of your approach and decision making process
- Understand the complex, human nature of our work. You handle this ambiguity and turn it into cohesive action based on a mindset of “knowing what needs to be done” through initiative, grit, and genuine care for the people around you
To be successful in this position, you possess:
- Minimum 5 years of experience writing operational, production code
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or Engineering OR comparable work experience AND coursework/education
- Broad and deep understanding of modern software technologies
- One or more programming paradigms such as OOP, Functional, etc.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python
- Deep tactical and strategic skills related to architecture, infrastructure, operations, best practices, and processes
- Mentorship experience
- Self-motivated with a strong passion to learn and grow your craft in software engineering
Ideally, you also have:
- Previously performed significant, large-scale system refactors.
- Technical team lead experience
- Experience with success and failure: has a deep “gut feel” of right vs wrong vs grey-area and can substantiate that feeling
- Focus on servant leadership, with the ability to influence without direct reporting lines through collaboration and leading by example
Note: A code test will be a part of the interview process
If this job description excites you, we're looking forward to connecting!
MakeMusic joined companies TrainingPeaks and TrainHeroic under umbrella company Peaksware in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. Peaksware has been recognized as one of Outside Magazine's "Best Places to Work" six years in a row. Through a unique approach to deliberate practice, each company within Peaksware develops software solutions and provides services focused solely on their respective markets to help guide people along their own journey of improvement and skill development.
- DevOps - We want developers to have insight and ownership over code in production, integration tools, infrastructure, and deployment process. Developers should always ask what it takes to support their systems/code in production. We value The Phoenix Project as a reference guide.
- Product Efficiency Is Achieved Upstream - The further down the development pipeline we have to fix bugs or rework features, the more expensive it is.
- Small, Cross-Functional Teams - QA, Dev, Design, CI, and Product work on a focused and shared vision.
- Complexity - It's easy to make something complex, but difficult to make it simple. We should always be fighting complexity. Can we deprecate systems/code? Do it. Does the system need to be that complicated? Do we build vs. buy?
- Small Batch Sizes - Constantly work towards shorter release cycles as a means to shore up quality, helping to ensure we are working on the right things at the right time, stabilize operations, and cut down on waste.
- Performance Matters - We value engineers that know not to over-optimize solutions, but who always think about how code will perform at expected scale.
- Minimum Process Necessary - We strive to be pragmatic. Some process is necessary, but don’t forget the fundamentals of Agile.
- Managing Technical Debt - The vast majority of work is maintenance. Engineers need to have practical philosophies on refactoring. We like the theory of Broken Windows, YAGNI, and refactor as you go. We appreciate Clean Code, Working Effectively with Legacy Code, and Pragmatic Programmer as reference guides.
- Data Driven - Let’s use the data to help inform what to work on, what is causing performance issues, who is using our features... Ultimately it's the objective plus the narrative that produces great product.
Benefits and Perks:
- 100% company paid medical plan for employees with buy-up options as well as dental and vision insurance for employees (dependent coverage available)
- 401(k) 5% match
- $1,200/year fitness reimbursement to purchase any items related to healthy living
- 3 weeks of PTO for all new hires; increase in PTO at various years of service
- 4 week paid sabbatical for all employees after 7 years of employment
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- Dog friendly office
- Music Studio for all to practice, jam, and record
- On-site workout area access: treadmill, bike trainers, rowers, and full weight lifting gym with CrossFit equipment and Yoga classes; with changing rooms and showers and towel service
- Corporate discounts on gym memberships and top-brand gear
- Beautiful North East Boulder, CO location
- Flexible work schedule in a culture of trust